Hats offer both style and function. From adding the perfect finishing touch to your outfit to offering sun protection, hats provide endless benefits. However, no matter your favorite style, it's important to make sure a hat fits you correctly before purchasing it.
It is important to note that these size correspondants are not always exactly matching between brands and styles and every hat is a little bit different. We are always happy to measure the inside of a hat you see on our site to your head size to ensure a good fit before shipping your order.
Hat sizing comes in three general sizes.
- The most commonly used sizing you will see here are SM, MD, LG, XL and occasionally 2 & 3X sizes.
- The second most common sizing that we have on our site is that of half-sizes. Meaning there are usually only two sizes: SM/MD, and LG/XL. Occasionally there are 2X sizes as well.
- The more traditional sizing is that of the exact size in inches and/or in centimeters. You will commonly see these sizes on more expensive hats.
Men's and Women's Hat Sizes
Some men's hats come in a one-size-fits-all style, but you'll more commonly find specific size ranges such as S to XL or 6 to 8. This wide range of measurements offers men the ability to choose their favorite style then create a comfortable, custom fit.
Women's hats, which usually come in a one-size-fits-all size, typically fit a head circumference of around 21 1/2 to 22 1/4 inches. Most of the time, women's hats will come with either an interior drawstring or adjustable band to help create more of a tailored fit.
Even though there aren't as many size options, women can — and often do — wear any men's hat style.
How to Measure Your Head
To measure your head and figure out your hat size, you'll want to first grab a measuring tape or a 25-inch string and ruler. Once you've gathered your supplies, follow these three quick and easy steps:
- Measure your head: Using your measuring tape or piece of string, evenly wrap it all the way around your head until it overlaps. Be sure to keep it about 1 inch above your ears for the most accurate measurement.
- Find your size: Once you've obtained your head circumference measurement, take your measuring tape or string and measure the length on your ruler.
- Use the hat size chart: To find your hat size, take your ruler measurement and find the corresponding size on the chart. Usually, these charts will list the measurements in centimeters and inches. The average adult hat size is between 53 and 58 centimeters.
If your measurement falls between two different sizes, we recommend sizing up to the nearest 1/8-inch. You can then use the hat's sizing tape to size your hat down if necessary.
It is important to keep in mind that even though there is an industry standard, each hat manufacturer is different. There can be variations and inconsistencies in sizing depending on what company created the hat. That's why it's important to measure your head and look at the hat's specific sizing chart to ensure you find the perfect fit.
Find the Right Hat at Hats Unlimited
Whether you stop by one of our seven retail locations in Southern California or shop over 1,000 styles online, we are dedicated to helping you find the right style and size hat. If there is a hat you are interested in with no sizing information posted, we are more than happy to measure it for you.
From fascinators to fedoras, you can always expect to find the perfect hat at Hats Unlimited. If you have any questions or need some help with hat sizing, give us a call at 888-997-4287 or email us at email@example.com.